Mower County


There are ways to successfully challenge the Assessor's estimated market value when it is found to be inequitable or erroneous. Although the Assessor has no hand in budget spending within a district, they do determine the estimated market value of all real property and some classes of personal property.

Detailed below are six simple, but effective actions taxpayers can take in order to make a successful argument to lower the estimated market value of their property:

  1. Review the current assessment from the County Assessor's Office and look for obvious errors with regard to size, description or condition of the property in question.
  2. Compare the estimated market value of the property in question with similar properties in the same neighborhood and look for discrepancies. Assessor records are public information and are available at the County Assessor's Office or via Internet access through the Assessor's web site.
  3. Check recent sale prices of homes in the same neighborhood that are similar to the property in question. These prices are public information and can be obtained from a local Realtor or at the County Assessor's Office.
  4. Have a new appraisal performed by a reputable certified appraiser.
  5. List factors that could decrease the value of a property as of the assessment date. Factors that could lower a property's value are deteriorating condition, undesirable neighborhood influences like smells, air quality or heavy street traffic and declining market prices.
  6. Be sure to take advantage of special programs. See Assessor's Duties on this site.

Documentation of your case before an appeal board should include photographs of the property in question and a complete explanation of any detrimental factors affecting the property value. Each year you will receive a Valuation of Real Property Notice from the Assessor's Office. This notice will explain the appeal process in detail. There are specific appeal dates to follow. Generally, appeals are made prior to June 1st each year.

As always, your first appeal should be with the Assessor's Office. In many cases, an appraiser from the Assessor's Office will visit your property and resolve any discrepancies.